Saturday, February 28, 2015

Priceless Moments, Bubbles, and Sequins

Because my last post was so extensive, I'll keep this one short and sweet.
In truth, I have so much to say, because I have been learning so much. I have pages of notes that I have taken while observing at the Montessori school and after days spent at the children's museum. I feel like a sponge. Spending so much time around children, I am left in wonder as I see them work, interact, and play. They seem so free. Their entire world right now revolves around learning how the world works and trying to make sense of the things around them; its beautiful to watch.
Another thing I've enjoyed is the funny stories I get to take away--stories of the priceless things children have said or done. As I sat in the group circle at the Montessori school this week, a little girl I had never met looked at me and said, "I love you." A few minutes later, she wraps herself around my arm. You know that warm, fuzzy feeling? Yeah, I had it.
Another time, kids were taking turns raising their hands to say 'Happy Birthday" to the birthday boy. One by one they went until it was finally the last girl's turn..."Happy New Year!"  --adorable.
The museum has its own store of stories. Who knew stickers, feathers, pasta, and crayons could make such a wonderful stick figure when glued on paper? Or who could fail to be impressed by the determination of girls to get sparkly sequins to stick to paper (to solve the dilemma, they had the ingenious idea of gluing tape upside-down onto paper and then pouring sequins onto the tape)? Love bubbles? --I thought I did too until I saw the look on one little boy's face as bubbles frivolously fell around him. I could not adequately express the joy that lit up his face if I tried. If I did try, I would liken it to the look on my face when I discovered my (unexplainable) love of pinecones.
I have learned, laughed, and smiled much already during this project, and I cannot help but realize how inspired I am to do something which I feel I have not done in a while: play.

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute Kyrie. I am so glad that you are enjoying your SRP. I look forward to reading more about your experience at the Montessori School!

    ReplyDelete